2024 Please be nice
SMAP XV: Closure Read it now at Tapas
SMAP 15th Anniversary A look back of my proudest work
Chronicle: Earth Union is back !!
Celoteh 'O first episode

How To Train Your Dragon 2 Review

How To Train Your Dragon was a surprise hit from DreamWorks previously. Does its second installment able to elevate the franchise and live up to its expectation ? Hit the jump to read my thought about the movie.


I didn't watch the first one at the cinema. As I saw the trailer, I said 'this looks like Eragon' which I think the reason why it almost flop but it turns out to be a surprise hit. So when the it was announced that a sequel is coming, it got a lot of attention and expectations to be as best as the first one at least.

How To Train Your Dragon 2 (HTTYD2) kicks off several years after the first one where everyone is living peacefully with dragon. While Hiccup finally gain his dad's trust, he still thinks he is not up to be a chief and looking for who he really is. However when a new threat in the form of Drago appeared, it is up to him to save the dragons from his dragons army.

What I always afraid is that this movie is either just rehash its previous storyline or becoming sometimes just in name only. However, the story manages to become this natural progression of this universe as it decided to expand the world literally as it starts with Hiccup mapping the world. This movie also manages to carry its title where the first one is 'to train your dragon' or 'not to train your dragon', this movie is basically 'to train your dragon with kindness' or 'to train your dragon with fear'.

Another elements that I like is the inclusion both of Hiccup's mother and Drago. Both of this character represent Hiccup in different ways in the sense that both of them could be him if he decided to go the very end of the opposite spectrum, Drago especially is his polar opposite in every way.

One thing that the director manages to achieve is to walk the fine line between the audience which consist of kids, teenagers, and adult (parents). It feels like this family movie and you'll be shock that the love story in this movie is not between Hiccup and Astrid but it is between Hiccup's parents but it doesn't feel that heavy or adult.

 One more thing that I like about this movie is that they show you what happen instead of tell you what happen. One good example of this is Hiccup and Astrid romantic relationship. They don't have this flirtatious relationship but it is shown enough to know that they are in relationship. Another one is the joke and comedy in this movie. I could say it is all visual comedy which is very rare nowadays.

The animations was spectacular. Kudos to the people who manages to make the dragon cute, but at times badass. Every single dragon in this movie is amazing and they also manages to bring this levity to the movie. I didn't watch this movie in 3D but I do feel that the 3D would be amazing.

Was there any flaw ? There is one plot hole but it doesn't hurt the movie  and also there is two scenes where you felt like a rip off from another movies. I doesn't take me away from enjoying it but it will be a common complaint in the review I think.

Overall I really enjoy the movie and really recommend it to everyone. You don't get bored watching it and it does make me want to watch the next one immediately because of its very nicely pace.It is a very good second part but at the same time a very well done standalone movie. You don't have to watch the first one to follow this one. This is probably the best summer movie I've watched yet and I might watch again in the future. Overall, I give this movie 5 out of 5. It does have flaw but it is so minimal, it doesn't effect the enjoyment.

So what do you think of How To Train Your Dragon 2 ? Do you agree with my opinion ? Leave out your thought in the comment section. Stay tuned for my review on 22 Jump Street later this week. Don't forget to like us on our Facebook pages and be sure to follow us at Comikrew Studio.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog